Bart made a very special flower pot. He got the giggles when he showed it to his friends because instead of his flowers being planted INSIDE the pot, they are glued all over the OUTSIDE of it! He’s planning to give it to Mother Bat so she can enjoy some bright daytime flowers that don’t need any sunshine inside their cozy cave. The best thing is that it’s just the right size to hold a small plant or Mother Bat’s crafting supplies. Bart is sure it will brighten his mother’s day no matter what she decides to keep in it. Here are Bart’s directions if you would like to make one too:
What you need:
1 empty coffee can (the one used here is the cardboard variety)
Felt, craft foam sheets, construction paper and/or heavy card stock in a variety of bright colors
Green fuzzy pipe cleaners
Glue (I admit, I used a hot glue gun, but any glue will work with time and patience)
What you do:
1) Remove the wrapper from the empty coffee can and paint it a nice bright color.
2) While the paint is drying, cut flower shapes from the felt, foam sheets, or paper you chose. They don’t have to look like real flowers, and you can choose to make them all the same shape or experiment with different shapes.
3) Cut leaf shapes from green felt, foam or paper too
4) Glue your flowers together.
5) When the flowers are dry, glue a green pipe cleaner to them like a stem.
6) When the paint is dry on the coffee can, glue the stems of the flowers around the can so the bright flower faces are at different heights.
7) Glue the leaves to the can as well.
8) You can add the coffee can lid to the bottom of the can if you plan to keep a plant in your new flower pot. You can also add the coffee can lid to the top and poke holes in it to hold paint brushes if you’d like. Or you can just leave it off entirely.
9) Last but not least, brighten someone’s day with your latest creation!
Being a homeschooling parent for 13 years and an independent author/illustrator makes a person learn quite a bit about a lot of things. Now it's time to pass it on!