This project will need some extra help from your big person, but in the end it will definitely be worth it! Here’s how to make your own piggy bank just like Samson:
What you need:
1 Clean Plastic Presweetened Drink Mix Container
1 Styrofoam Egg Carton
Hot Glue Gun (and a big person to use it)
Spray Paint (and a big person to use it) - optional
Felt or Colored Craft Foam – optional
1 Piece of Pipe Cleaner (about 4 inches)
Other Decorations - optional
What you do:
1) Cut two egg sections out of the egg carton.
2) Trim one of the egg sections around the open edge so it will fit against the top of the drink mix container. This will be your piggy’s snout.
3) Cut the other egg carton section in half diagonally from corner to corner to form your piggy’s ears.
4) Remove the drink mix container’s lid and put it open side down on your work surface. It should look like an upside down bowl.
5) Ask your big person to use the hot glue gun to attach the egg carton pieces. The whole egg section should be glued onto the top of the lid in the middle just below the center so you will have plenty of room above it for eyes later on. The two “ear” pieces should be centered along the outer edge at the top. Their open side should point forward, and you should be careful that the hot glue doesn’t interfere with the ability to put the lid back on the container when it is dry. You will need the lid on when you do the next step.
6) Find your egg carton again. On the lid part there should be a center ridge. Find the bumps that are in the center ridge and cut them out to make your piggy’s feet. If you have an egg carton that doesn’t have the right kind of bumps, no worries! Just cut a couple of strips of the flat lid part out. Cut the strips into same sized squares. Stack a few squares together and secure them with glue to make 4 short posts. Just make sure they are about the same height.
7) Hold the drink mix container on its side so that the piggy’s new face is positioned right. Have your big person glue 2 of the piggy’s new feet under the container part that looks like the piggy’s belly and two on the bottom of the lid edge being careful with the glue so the lid can be removed later. Ask them to be careful to get the balance right or your piggy might look like he’s trying to find something to eat!
8) Make a curly pig tail with the short piece of pipe cleaner and ask your big person to attach it with hot glue to the top of the piggy’s backside.
9) Ask your big person to cut a slot that is big enough for quarters in the piggy’s back. Fiddlebug also had Father Dragon use the tip of the hot glue gun to help bend the edges in so they weren’t sharp and were easier to put coins through.
10) If you and your big person decide it would be better to have your new piggy bank one solid color before you start decorating it, ask them to give it a coat of spray paint. Make sure to let it dry completely while you decide how to decorate!
11) Fiddlebug used white felt and colored foam pieces to make Samson’s eyes. You can do the same or just add them with paint.
12) Now for the fun part! Use your craft paint and other decorations to give your piggy bank a great personality. Fiddlebug thought Samson would look nice splotchy, but you can use handprints, or stripes, or glittery polka dots, or anything else that you can dream up!
13) When your new piggy bank is dry, it can start guarding your savings. Just remember to work on your adding skills when you put in your coins!