Fiddlebug, Bart and Craig are in the mood to play pirates. They have a treasure map and a hidden treasure. They’ve even got great pirate names picked out! But Bart mentioned that a pirate isn’t really a pirate without an eye patch. And why would any great pirate settle for some boring old plain black eye patch? That’s why Bart brought his favorite bugged out eye cover to share with you today. (My son Chance was nice enough to model for the picture) It’s not hard to look like a mean old pirate with this on your face!
What you need:
Styrofoam egg carton (the paper one will work also, but is harder and less comfortable)
Paints or other things to decorate your eye patch (construction paper cut outs and a glue stick would lessen the mess.)
Something to poke holes in your egg carton to thread the yarn through.
Yarn, ribbon or string
What you do:
1) Cut one of the egg holder sections out of your egg carton
2) Trim up the section you cut off so it will be comfortable against your face when you wear it.
3) Decorate your section to look like an eyeball. Any kind of eyeball will do, so get creative! (Make sure it’s dry before you move on)
4) Have a big person help you poke two holes in opposite corners so the yarn can be attached.
5) Thread the yarn through the holes in your “eyeball” and then tie the yarn back onto itself to secure it.
6) Have someone help you tie your new eye patch on and you’re ready to go!
Bart also wanted to say that he thinks it’s really funny to make a whole carton’s worth of different “eyes” and then tie them all over himself! Then he can be a bug-eyed space alien with eyes on his feet and belly and the back of his head and on his knees… Well, you get the picture! Mother Bat added that she likes to borrow a couple so she can wear them on the back of her head to remind Bart that she’s keeping an eye on him even when her back is turned.
Being a homeschooling parent for 13 years and an independent author/illustrator makes a person learn quite a bit about a lot of things. Now it's time to pass it on!