Fiddlebug made a mask to show what he would look like if Sophie sneezed on him and he grew fur and a bird beak! Craig and Bart could hardly stop laughing when Fiddlebug strutted around the room pecking at his toys and then saying “Meow”!
It’s fun to make up weird masks! Here is an easy way to make one – or many - of your own!
What you need:
The top of a Styrofoam egg carton (other materials will work too)
Other decorating materials that you would like to use
What you do:
1) Cut the sides off of the egg carton top. Also cut straight up the center on both sides of the divider so you have two flat pieces of Styrofoam tha are the same size. Tape them together in the middle.
2) Cut a triangle out of the bottom center of the egg carton piece (This will be for your nose)
3) Cut two really big eye holes out of the middle on each side of the triangle. Now you have the mask frame. Set it aside until you are ready to start gluing on your decorations.
4) I used fringed pieces of paper to make “fur” for my mask. All you have to do is cut construction paper into strips and then cut slits ¾ of the way through along one side of the strip to make fringe.
5) Break the strip in smaller squares so you can glue them on easier. Use different colors of construction paper so your mask will be nice and bright! Glue sticks work great for this part!
6) Make a cone shape out of construction paper to use for a beak. Cut a flap so you can bend it up and glue it to the inside of the mask where the nose cut out is.
7) After the glue dries tie two pieces of yarn through the eye hole and around the side of the mask. Now you’re ready to pretend you are a weird new creature!
Fiddlebug really liked being a cat/bird! He thinks maybe he’ll be a fish/moose next time! What kind of silly new creature can you think up?