Gem Encrusted Spyglass
(project courtesy of the characters from Fiddlebug)
During their last paper boat race at the meadow pond, Bart, Fiddlebug and Craig came up with a great idea for a winner’s trophy. They made a very special spyglass that would make any boat captain feel honored to win (and any pirate want to add to his pirate chest!). Races are extra exciting now because the winner of the last race can watch his boat through the spyglass, and the other two friends can cheer for their boats louder in the hopes of being the one to take care of the prize until the next race is won. Being the Keeper of the Spyglass also earns the holder the right to be Head Pirate Captain at Crystal Cave!
Would you like to have your own sparkly spyglass? Here’s what you need to build one:
What you need:
1 Paper Towel Tube
1 Piece of Aluminum Foil that is big enough to wrap the paper towel tube in
Black construction paper
Sparkly jewel-like decorations
What you do:
1) Wrap aluminum foil around the paper towel tube and glue the edge down.
2) Cut 3 strips of black construction paper. One should be about 2 inches wide, and the other two about 1 inch wide.
3) Glue the bigger strip of construction paper to the around bottom or the foil covered paper towel tube.
4) Glue one of the 1 inch strips of construction paper around the tube about an inch up from the big piece, and the last 1 inch strip of construction paper around the other end of the tube.
5) Use the glitter glue and sparkly decorations to decorate the construction paper strips so they look like they have jewels on them.
6) Let your new spyglass dry.
7) Now you’re ready to see the world in a whole new way!
Craig also wanted to add that if you fill a jar halfway with buttons, sparkles, and other colorful objects, then tilt it sideways and turn it slowly in front of one end of the tube while watching through the other end, the spyglass turns into a kaleidoscope!
Being a homeschooling parent for 13 years and an independent author/illustrator makes a person learn quite a bit about a lot of things. Now it's time to pass it on!