Sophie sneezed herself all around the forest today, but finally landed here and gave me this week’s project. Her fairy dust changes how things look, and sometimes the results are wonderful. Today, she brought me a small candy box that has been changed into a very pretty gift box that can also be used to hold your special treasures. Fairy dust is in short supply unless you’re a fairy, but I have a great way for you to make any little box you have around look just as magical!
What you’ll need:
Small box from jewelry or candy, etc.
White school glue that has been watered down a to the consistency of chocolate milk
Small paint brush
Other decorations if you wish
Something to protect your work surface with
Soap and water for clean up
What you do:
1) Open your box and set the top and bottom on a protected surface.
2) Tear or cut your tissue paper up into little pieces or shapes.
3) Use your paint brush to paint a thin coat of glue onto your box. (It’s best to work in small areas so you can hold the box easier without sticking to it.)
4) Stick pieces of tissue paper onto the gluey parts of the box.
5) Add more glue and then tissue paper to the box until you have the whole thing covered.
6) Carefully paint another thin coat of glue over the tissue paper and begin adding a second layer of tissue paper pieces.
7) Keep adding layers of glue and tissue paper until you have covered the box to your liking. The more you add the less of the original box will show through.
8) Paint one last coat of glue over the entire box to seal the tissue paper.
9) Let completely dry.
Sophie wanted me to say that you can also add other decorations to the box once it’s dry! Adding the right thing can make the box even more special if you are going to use it as a gift box too!
Being a homeschooling parent for 13 years and an independent author/illustrator makes a person learn quite a bit about a lot of things. Now it's time to pass it on!